Tykowski, Franciszek (1850-1919) Rajkowy, the son of Franciszek Tykowski & Maryanna Narzynska, m. (14 Sep 1873) Church of the Holy Trinity, Lubiszewo-Tczewskie, Anna Shoenrock (1850-1921) Janin, the daughter of Maciej Schoenrock & Maryanna Koschmieder. Family—Wędkowy; Jan (1874-1924). They left Wędkowy for Hamburg where they set aboard the “Terpsichore” 15 Nov 1875, arriving at Port Nicholson, Wellington, 18 Mar 1876.
Listed aboard were—Franz Tykowski 25, Anna 25 & Johann 1. Anna gave birth to a male infant while on board on 4 Dec 1875 but did not survive. Also on board was Franz’s sister, Francisca, with her husband Johann Klukowski. It is believed when Franz and Anna left Europe they brought with them a bag of gold, a bag of silver, and some of their precious church relics (holy pictures) and very little else. After a month on Somes Island, they were sent to Carterton with other Polish settlers clearing the land and helping to build the road to Masterton. Here they camped in tents but not staying for long. They travelled south to Germantown (Waikaka Valley). While residing in the Gore district they had—Francis Joseph (1877-1953), Anthony (1879-1966) & Maximillion (1881-1954). The 82’ Freeholders lists Francis owning 4 acres to the value of £38 in the Gore region. Between 1881 and 1884, the family moved south to Dalmore (Pahia), some 60 kilometres west of Invercargill on the rugged sea-coast. Here the rest of the family was born—Thomas (1884-1967), David (1885-1963), Joseph (1886), Alexander (1890-1927) & Mary Francisca (1892-1949). The Tecofsky children were listed among the first pupils to attend the Pahia School when it opened in 1884. Here Frank worked as a farmer and built the family home and planted an orchard still visable today. Frank died at Pahia Aug 1919 aged 69 and Anna died at Ruahine May 1921 aged 70. Both are buried in the Orepuki Cemetery.