New Zealand Embassy, Warsaw
On this page you will find snippets …. chapters of books, magazine articles, information and videos celebrating Poland, New Zealand and the joined story of two countries.
Polish Involvement in New Zealand since 1772 …….. With thanks to the Polish Embassy in Wellington …. Click Here
Flames over Warsaw …….. This is a chapter from “Flames in the Sky” by Pierre Clostermann, and is lead up to and an account of a single supply flight by Polish Aircrew in the RAF during the battle for Warsaw …. Click Here
Poles & New Zealand, 2nd WW …….. A display remembering some of the shared history of Poland & New Zealand during WW 2…. Click Here
The Partition of Poland …….. A partial clipping detailing the story of Germany, Russia & Austria annexing Poland…. Click Here
Ship Palmerston …….. An Account of the Voyage of of Palmerston1872/3, “BRUCE HERALD”, 21ST JANUARY 1873. … Click Here
On 16th April, 1899 in the town of Waihola, the Church of St Hyacinth
was opened for worship. Rev.Father O’Neill officiated at the opening
ceremony which was attended by some 1000 people.
The majority of the worshippers were from Poland, a nation which
was without statehood for a period of 123 years, from 1795-1918.
The Church was situated at the top of Nore St, off Chapel Lane. The land
had been gifted by Mr John Phillipowski, a local of the district. Mr Barty of
Balclutha designed the building, and Mr J.Agnew was the builder.
Almost 50 years later due to a decline in the Church membership,
Authorities decided to shift the building to Broad Bay, on the Otago
Peninsula, where the Catholic Community was without a Church
On 7th November 1948, the building was re-consecrated on the present site as the
Church of Mary Queen of Peace with Rev. Msgr J.P. Delany V.G.
officiating. In additionto the people of Broad Bay, the
Church has also provided a place of worship for the local Polish Community,
including descendants of the original immigrants, since 1995.
This panel was installed in 1999, by the Polish Heritage of
Otago and Southland Charitable Trust