Paul is a descendant of first the Polish settlers who arrived in Port Chalmers, Dunedin on the 6th of December 1872.
He is a founding Member of the Polish Heritage of Otago & Southland and current Board Member.
Paul brings to the Board and Polish Community in Dunedin his passion for heritage & genealogy. His attention to detail and integrity is the stuff of local legend.
He has spent more than 20 years compiling a library of the heritage and traditions of Polish settlers in the Otago and Southland regions and beyond.
His work has been exemplary and meticulous, and includes:
- Organisation and presentation of data, reports and talks for exhibitions
- Presentations on specialised subjects
- Locating Polish graves around the country
- Organisation of bus trips for Polish communities to visit the homes and graves of their ancestors
- Organisation of trips to Poland for descendants of Polish settlers.
- Research trips to Poland, examining source documents such as church records, regional records and materials in museum libraries.
This POHOS website has benefited enormously from the extraordinary amount of research he has done.
In 2003, Paul received the Polish bronze medal ‘Chwalba Grzymislawa’.
This is the most prestigious cultural award in Kociewie Region given to a person who has shown exceptional support for the region. It is only on rare occasion that it goes to a person from elsewhere and even rarer from abroad.
Here is what the Kociewie paper wrote about Paul:- https://tczew.naszemiasto.pl/laureaci-chwalby-grzymislawa/ar/c13-5707701
In 2008, Paul was awarded the Polish Gold Cross of Merit
Established in 1923, the Cross of Merit is the highest civilian award in Poland, given to those rare few who go beyond the call of duty in their work for the country and society as a whole.
POHOS applauds Paul’s achievements, and would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for his tireless and meticulous work on our behalf.
The following pages of this website reflect Paul’s extraordinary accomplishment in the field of genealogy and his skills in building family trees.